Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ways not to win my heart

I'm falling asleep reading a book on the beach last Saturday afternoon when I get a call from this man:

Well, it was actually just a voice recording. And Bonnie, on the towel next to me, received the same call 12 minutes later. Bernard Parks is trolling for votes in advance of the 3 June elections. I received two more phone calls from him over the next 48 hours.

While using phonebanks is a really cheap way of reaching potential voters, it's also pretty ineffective for securing additional votes, as studies have shown (Mr. Parks, you would know this if you'd taken Dr. Rhoad's class on persuasion and influence!). My anger at this annoying violation of my Saturday afternoon nap extends to a moody gstatus message - something about how i'm going to HUNT HIM DOWN if I get one more call. This prompts friend Scott to write an email to Bernard:

Subject: You called me at 7:30am Monday morning...

...and have subsequently lost my vote. No one wants to be woken up that early to hear a recorded message on their cell phone when they think it's probably an emergency. Congratulations on alienating your constituency.

SV

Los Angeles Voter


Scott shared Bernard's response:

SCOTT, I am sorry for this inconvenience to you. My campaign received your number from the public files of the county's voter registration records. This the (sic) most common way all campaigns receive voter contact information. I will request that you be removed from my campaign phone call system. BCP

I wrote a similar message to 'BCP' and got this in return:

Thank you for your email. My staff and I will take a look at your message... and do our very best to address your concerns. Thanks, again. Councilmember Bernard C. Parks

Thanks, Bernard. If you hadn't already lost my vote for the series of annoying calls, you'd be losing it over your crappy punctuation.

3 comments:

Maxine Parrish said...

Why the inequality in responses? I feel ripped off on your behalf! CURSE YOU, BERNARD C. PARKS!!

Kaahl said...

i hope you respond:

BCP:

Thanks for your interest in Comptron. Her staff will look into doing some stuff half-heartedly, but like you, we are all focus on our own ish. So probably nothing will happen. And also, we don't care about you either.

CompTron said...

please note: Bernard did send me a second email with a lengthier, more apologetic response. He also sent me a birthday card (?!). And...he lost.