Monday, April 27, 2009

happy birthday, dear wednesday

This trite little childhood poem reasserted itself in my life recently, causing irritation of the same ilk as Myers-Briggs categorization or Hogwarts sorting:

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

Note: I was mistakenly born on a Wednesday.

Somewhere in the more correct annals of time, it is written that Wendy is, in fact, a Thursday.
(art by anji one - thank you)

No matter. This time measurement business is an artificial construct anyway.

But if we ARE going to bother measuring it out as we do in days weeks months years, let's get one thing straight: it's happy birthDATE, not happy birthDAY. I have no intention of instigating reform on the thriving card and balloon industry, nor do I expect people to change up the lyrics to that oft-sung "Happy Birthday" song (note: Warner Chappell makes millions in royalties off that tune still; it doesn't go into the public domain until 2030). However, I do plan on wishing people a happy birthday every time their birth day roles around. Which will be once a week. I need more celebration - and more cupcakes - in my life.

3 comments:

JRP said...

This sounds like a job for the Cupcake Bandit.

Preethi said...

Oh how happy this post makes me. :) Also, thanks for clearing up the royalties business - I'd been wondering why the Primary song of choice is "Happy Happy Birthday" instead of its better-known cousin.

Maxine Parrish said...

Here here! Or is that hear hear? Either way, I would add my emphatic 'amen' to that!