Friday, April 13, 2007

Farvel hvergdag! this might mean 'hello europe' in danish. æÅø.

I'm writing this SO fast at the train station in Kopenhagen.

Dad CompTron and I have arrived! Well, a while ago. This is the story .... aaargh, i can't find any of the proper punctuation on this !"#/()ÅØÆ keyboard! Flew to Washington, then to Amsterdam where we had a 3 hour layover accompanied by some excellent cheese, and then to Copenhagen. Got here around noon this morning. When DC (as I shall call Dad CompTron for the remainder of this post) and I rendezvoused at LAX Thursday morning, I was delighted to share with him how remarkably light my backpack was. I had possibly done one of my best, most concise packing jobs ever. As I was getting the straps all sorted on the checkin desk scale, I was dismayed when the checkin clerk grabbed it and threw it on the conveyor belt, saying to me as she did so, 'don't worry, it'll be fine'...I had some grave misgivings that things would probably go awry somewhere between my home hemisphere and wherever I was headed. Indeed, things DID go awry. baggage claim, copenhagen: i receive the corpse of my well loved bag in some tupperware container. it had several massive holes ripped through it, clothes were wet and/or destroyed, a few important things had gone awol...yeah. all i could do was laugh? i´m gonna have to find a new backpack somewhere along the way, and in the meantime, i´m just in the market for a good roll of duct tape.

That being said, the rest of our day in Copenhagen has been deLITEful. It´s sunny and beautiful, and the Danes are reveling in the new spring weather. EVERYONE here bikes, which is grand, and DC and I have been marveling nonstop at the ridiculous level of beauty present in the population. These people are tall and b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l....and for once in my life, I feel strangely out of place. Not because I´m not beautiful, no....just because I´m not blonde anymore. And because I´m not sporting a mullet (a good 37% of the population does). It´s funny. Aside from vast modeling potential, the folks here are quite friendly, nice, and wonderfully English speaking. Yay for that.

Other things:
¤ have filled up on some excellent Danish candies, cookies, and meats. of course.
¤ saw the coolest street performer playing the theme to HARRY POTTER on glasses filled with water...i will post a video later. So rad.
¤ took a boat through the canals and saw the little mermaid statue (a photograph of which graced my disney fairytales book when i was a young lass, so this was a childhood dream fulfillment or something)

gotta run, turns out. i´ll write something more interesting next time ´round. We´re headed to Kiel tomorrow afternoon...exciting! I´ve been speaking german like a fiend here, and I´m really excited to actually GET to germany to use it (DC may be tiring of me directing it solely at him). jawohl! or something.

schoenes wochenende to you all!
xoxo Vændy

1 comment:

johnny said...

... ... ...
i don't even know what to say.

my people are blondes?!? i'm really beginning to think there were some illicit affairs left out of the geneology records...