Tuesday, April 24, 2007

the hillls are alive....

a fast one.

i have been in 3 countries the last 2 days. no, it's not the obnoxious whirlwind europe tour you're maybe imagining.

yesterday, after a morning in baden-baden and an afternoon hike 'round the Mummelsee, we drove across the border to France. Bummed around Strasbourg, which is in Alsace. Very French. Very un-German in the way things stopped being so clean and orderly and chaste. But also very pleasant. We had dinner near the Rhein in a town with a name I've momentarily forgotten. For dinner, flammenkuchen, a specialty of the region that made my mouth sing with joy (because, come on, what else sings besides a mouth?), and creme brulee for dessert.

and today, we took the most scenic-ly stunning train ride to Zürich, Schweiz.
things to note:
£ Switzerland is expensive! who knew? not I. so our stay will be a little briefer than I'd thought, but it's all working out brilliantly anyways.
£ I went in a big cathedral crypt and impaled myself on a giant charlemagne sword. no harm done.
£ spent 90 minutes on the huge lake here and saw the Matterhorn in the distance. I yelled at the abominable snowman like I did when I was 4 and riding on the ride at Disneyland. It frightened my fellow boat passengers, but I think it did the trick in keeping us safe from Yetti Harm.
£ eating Luxemburgerlis and Toblerone on the grass in the middle of the city is guaranteed to make a person happy. Getting a text from Swiss Miss Jenny recommending said Luxemburgerlis, having no idea what they were but being desperate to try them, then running around the city and asking a number of people until finally being directed to the ONE place that has them and is still open, finding said place, and discovering that Luxemburgerlis = my favoritest French cookies ever ever ever ever (there is one blessed place in LA where I revel in their beauty, their sumptuous flavors, their...oh, i could sing their praises too. i love food too much, methinks)....all this combined to make a happy me.

Tomorrow we're going back to Deutschylandy, to Füssen, where we'll soon see the Glorious Sights and Sounds - No, Just Sights - Of Neuschwanstein.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayéèéàèéäöö+!

No comments: