Monday, November 5, 2007

you know, a dream IS like a river.

When I was in 4th grade, I would get on a bus with a few of my peers every Tuesday morning and head to Quailwood Elementary across town for a special day of GATE education. As much as I loved Mr. Zarra's class - the plexers, the analogies, the algebra! - I always looked forward to the afternoon ride back to my regular school. Why? Garth Brooks sing-alongs in the back of the bus, of course.

Imagine my delight when, upon mentioning this to my friend Bonnie last Friday evening, she immediately launched into a heartfelt rendition of "I Got Friends In Low Places." We sang enthusiastically through several of our favorites - "The Dance", "Thunder Rolls", "Shameless", "Papa Loves Mama", and finally, "The River".

Let it be known. I HATE country pop - and that's saying a lot, I think; my music tastes are pretty varied and open-minded (if tastes can be open-minded. they probably can't). But I love Garth Brooks. I own only one GB cd, and I brought it along for a car ride with Bonnie and Sniar the day after our a cappella extravaganza. As we drove, we sang our little hearts out. It's true that I somehow remember all the lyrics to "The Rodeo". And it's true we all sang with a twang.

The best moment may have been after our stirring rendition of "The River". Bonnie revealed that she had a friend with a giant tattoo of a ship on his back. The inspiration for said tattoo?

"and I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry. Like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my skyyyyy I'll never reach my de-e-stination if I never try! so I will sail my vessel till the river runs dry." Wow.

editor's note: it was actually ERIN'S friend, not bonnie's, who had the tattoo. gigantic public apology, sniar, for the story theft.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Ah, I remember the good days when we sang it at home, and I pronounced the words all wrong when I was younger. I can't remember how I jacked up "vessel," but I know I did! I miss you.

Erin said...

why do you let bonnie steal my stories! it was MY friend (or, more accurately, the love of my post-senior year summer) who had the giant tattoo. come on now...

Kenny said...

ah! i was a GATE Geek(tm) too! Except I was full-time, not pull-out, so I never had the chance to have a "back-to-my-school" bus ride. Instead, I rode a short bus everyday. Sad, I know, but at least we had seat belts.

And GB! I love those songs. You forgot one

"Hello Samantha, dear, I hear you're doing fine...It won't be long until I'm with you all the time...But until then I'll spend my money up right down to my last dime...whoa..oh...ohhhhh...callin' baton rouge!"

johnny said...

THAT is amazing! please please please may you do that again sometime when i'm around?