Monday, June 29, 2009

I am the 1984 Grammys.

28 February 1984, my mom's 23rd birthday.

The night Michael Jackson won a record 8 Grammys (RIP, MJ. you are not alone.)


John Denver was the host. (note: John Denver was like mother's milk to me. I grew up with "Calypso" on repeat, he provided my first introduction to Placido Domingo, and I wound up working for his publishing company years later. I wore black the week he died.)

Irene Cara won for "Flashdance...What a Feeling!". I wore the LP of this soundtrack thin, running around my living room on my toes like Jennifer Beals had done. Flashdance is why I danced. And a couple decades later, I might have cried tears of joy when I aerobicized with Richard Simmons to this same tune, hearing him praise my moves with glitter and enthuasiasm.


Note: this also led to a ridiculous love for FlashBeagle a year later.


Cyndi Lauper performed "Time After Time." This was one of many staples at 2009's Night of Soft Rock. Sadly, her guitarist did not join us as he did with her at 0:57. Note the exasperated show casting-away at 2:35 as well...a familiar dance, I'm sure.


Pat Benatar also won for "Love is a Battlefield." So, I love Pat Benatar. I do not know the number of times I have gone on manic, adrenaline-purging late night runs to "Heartbreaker" that morph into thrashing and epic dancing in my alley. But nothing really compares to the Very Special Place In The Middle of My Heart that "We Belong" occupies. I also adore whales.


The Cats soundtrack was awarded. For maybe 2 decades, I desperately wanted to play the role of Victoria, the white cat who begins the official Jellicle's Ball. Instead, I find myself Grizzabell.


But Bonnie Tyler's performance of "Total Eclipse of the Heart"? I don't even know what to say. I am this. Or at least have played this on the piano and danced to it quite. a. lot.


25 years later, I am still all this.

2 comments:

mastermind said...

Seriously, reading this blog entry I realize...you ARE the 1984 Grammys. That's amazing.

Also we should look into getting whales for the 2010 Night of Soft Rock. I think that's the only way to make the evening better.

Maxine Parrish said...

Might I remind you that you've also sung "Total Eclipse" in front of a crowd of over 100 bewildered Chinese people at our wedding. The memory still gives us warm fuzzies every time we hear that song.