Thursday, July 5, 2007

how not to make friends on the freeway: the story of a birthday present gone bad

If you scroll down a few posts, you'll see a picture of me lounging in a truck bed full of shredded paper. Ah, the naive joy I felt that warm summer day, basking in the glow of a humorous birthday surprise.

When I drove down to San Diego several weeks ago to go rock climbing, I bagged up all the paper so it wouldn't go flying all over the freeway. The 4 massive trash bags remained in my room in the space on my floor where I normally sleep. I decided I'd put all of it back in the bed after 1. purchasing a net to hold it down and 2. taking Mazdatron for a long overdue washing...so I was very pleased when I got to leave work early on Tuesday and managed to accomplish thing 1 AND thing 2. Joyfully triumphant, I returned all the paper to the bed, secured the bungee net over it, and began turning over ideas in my mind for what Fun Adventures could be had with Mazdatron: the Deluxe Superclean Pimped-out Hamster-cage Edition.

Yesterday, Our Great United Day of Freedom, took me all over the city. From early morning celebrations at Manhattan Beach to late-evening Marina Del Rey firework excursions, the day was filled with driving. Midday, I drove downtown to Sammy Sam Farrell's sister's new apartment for a birthday barbeque. After much merriment and consumption of some really really great food, I took off, hopped on the freeway, and headed west. En route, a massive chunk of the paper got free of the net and started flying all over the road. I was 4 exits away from my house; I tried to slow down a bit to prevent the situation from getting worse. Imagine my delight, then, when a police car pulled behind me suddenly, lights flashing. I got off the freeway, laughing. I've never been pulled over before. I hear some people cry in these situations. I had a hard time not laughing out loud when the cop came up to the window.

Long story short, I had to put all the paper inside my (freshly-vacuumed) truck under the watchful eye of the (very nice) policeman who told me how he drives an electric car and is a huge environmentalist. I explained my bemusement to him; I am a Recycling Queen who fishes recyclables out of my friends' trash cans, just in the name of keeping mother earth tidy and healthy. I received my first ticket (fortunately, not a littering violation...something to do with not having a proper cover on my truck). For this, I assume I'll have to pay a fine (I'm waiting for the actual ticket to come in the mail), and I will definitely have to do online traffic school.

It's all fun and games until your shredded paper blows into the Windshield of the Law. Dang it.

1 comment:

Goatmaster.K said...

I like: Wendy+Words.