Thursday, July 5, 2007

There is a mystical bond between man and machine.

(I, CompTron, LOVED Transformers, by the way - the superhammerawesomeness of the transforming robots totally overshadowed the michaelbayness of the film. A later blog will explain how my grandpa and Optimus Prime are the same being).

There is a mystical bond between Comptron and her RAZR.

I've lost the phone in Provo. I've lost the phone in Switzerland. It has survived international boat mail, countless drops and, uh, throws, and plenty else. By all accounts, I have treated it very poorly, and I do not deserve its loyalty.

But somehow, it stays with me. This morning, I went on an early bike ride up Mandeville Canyon. Usually I keep my phone tucked in one of the back pockets on my jersey. I wore a pocketless shirt this time, so I shoved the phone elsewhere. This proved to be a bad idea - by the time I'd made it back down the hill and returned to Mazdatron, I realized the phone had made an early departure from my sports bra somewhere along the way. So, I got in my truck and made my way up the hill very slowly, looking for whatever busted remnants of my cellular roadkill remained.

At the top of the hill, I spotted it....lying open, face up, in the gutter, with sprinklers raining water all over it. The battery cover was shivering and wet a few yards away. Well....at least I'll have my SIM card and a corpse to bury, I thought. The phone was soaked, the screen was blank. I dried it off in my truck as best I could. On the way home, though, I decided I'd put the battery back in and just see if it'd turn on. Lo and behold: it did! Glory hallelujah, the phone works, the screen works, the keys work, and I can cellularly communicate as well as ever! Aside from some scotch tape now keeping the battery and its cover in place, my little phone is the posterchild for mechanical health. A Thursday miracle. I would say something about this phone being 'more than meets the eye'....

2 comments:

boxpilot said...

i had a similar bond once with a mystical pair of sunglasses. no matter how many times i lost them, they always turned up . . .

though, getting a phone back from across the world IS impressive indeed.

Dubious Brown said...

even more relevant, boxpilot also carried a phone with a battery duct-taped to it for about 4 years. so hot.